We are unsure of Daniel Ash's start date but he is listed in the 1823 London Trade Directory as a copper plate printer at 2 Salter's Hall Court, London.
Soon after this listing it appears he formed a short partnership with Charles Sheppard which was dissolved on the 19th of April 1824. For their very short existence they were based at 9 Red Lion Court, Watling Street. Presumably it was just after this that Ash then set up again under his sole name at 27 Fetter Lane, which is the address on these prints. He moved further west from his previous 2 business addresses, a little closer to central London and just off Fleet Street, the home to a number of other printers. In 1828, he is listed at Fetter Lane under Engravers.
The British Museum have one of Ash's trade cards in their Heal's Collection and note that he also printed "arms, crests & ciphers" and flourished between 1826 and 1827. It seems that he was in business for a fairly short time.
Please create wishlist to add this item to