Thomas LundThomas Lund opened his premises at 56 & 57 Cornhill, London in 1814 but it is thought that his business was first established in 1804. The 1815 Post Office Directory lists him as: 'Lund Tho. Cutler & Manuf. Of Pens & Quills, Importer of Filtering Stones, fitted up for use, Warehouses, 56 & 57 Cornhill.' He soon moved onto selling writing and dressing boxes and became known for his chess pieces, whose pattern are referred to by his surname. An invoice of Lund's from 1838 shows an image of the shop front at 56 & 57 Cornhill with his signage listing his wares as 'Letter Copying Machines, Portable Writing Desks, Dressing Cases & Morocco Articles of Every Description'. The shop also has a sign calling it the London Cutlery Warehouse.
Lund soon built up a reputation for high quality goods and certainly the boxes we have seen have proved this to be true. Amongst other items known by Lund are tortoiseshell tea caddies, razors and gaming boxes. Lund are also known for their corkscrews and in 1838 Thomas patented a bottle grip corkscrew.
Thomas' son William was apprenticed to William Anderson a cutler and razor manufacturer at 24 Fleet Street. In 1835 William Lund took over the property and set up under his own name. When Thomas Lund died in 1845, his William inherited his business and ran it alongside his own. He expanded the Fleet Street address to encompass first number 23 and then by 1859 number 25.
William Lund was succeeded by his son Charles on his death in 1872 and the business continued under the name of William Lund & Son.