Solomon BrothersIn 1855 the British Army established Aldershot as an army base to fulfil the need for a permanent military camp, highlighted by the Crimean War. In 1867 Nathaniel Solomon established Solomon Bros. in Aldershot to meet the demands of the transient camp. Before the army moved in, Aldershot was a village. Soon, it grew to a population of 20,000. With a captive and ever changing audience, the company soon grew eventually becoming the largest business in the town. They became chief contractors to the Aldershot Garrison and important suppliers to the army as a whole. Regiments and individual soldiers would rent or buy campaign furniture and other necessary items for their stay at the camp. They are believed to have had the country's largest military stock for hire.
Although Solomon Brothers bought in furniture from other makers, they also had their own workshops where they made tents and portable buildings. Certainly, their reputation grew to include providing marquees for a number of important sporting events including Ascot, Goodwood and Henley. They also received a Royal appointment.
The company provided a wide range of items and services from both house and camp furniture to athletic outfits and removals. They even published postcards to meet the demand from soldiers in the Great War wishing to write to their loved ones. The business thrived on meeting the demands of the soldiers at Aldershot and continued well into the 20th century.
Campaign furniture bearing Solomon's name does not come on the market often, perhaps because much of it was hired rather sold.