LeucharsJames Leuchars started business in 1793 as a perfumer and selling ladies head dresses or wigs.
The company evolved to also deal in a variety of items from fancy boxes and gold and silver instruments to writing desks and chess pieces. They were one of the first retailers of the Jacques Staunton pattern chess men and built up a reputation and Royal patronage for the quality of their goods. Leuchars carried on as family business throughout the 19th century until they were bought by Aspreys in 1888.
However, they continued to trade under their name at 38 & 39 Piccadilly until 1902.