E.J. Arnold & Son Limited
E.J. Arnold & Son Limited (Born 1863)The company of E.J. Arnold & Son Ltd were started in Barnstaple, Devon as printers by Edward James Arnold in 1863.
Seven years later he decided to move the business to Leeds and changed the direction to provide schools with educational books. His foresight took advantage of England and Wales' first Elementary Education Act of 1870 which gave compulsory schooling for children aged between 5 and 13. At first Arnold served the local schools but grew to become England's largest educational publishers and suppliers to the educational sector.
They developed to not only publish text books but also a very wide range of items including educational wall charts, board games that helped teach maths, word building, dealing with money etc. dip pen nibs, globes, abacus, sewing materials, jigsaws,school furniture and apparatus, kindergarten goods and even sun dials, thermometers, barometers and rain gauges.
They described themselves as Educational Stationers, Publishers and School Outfitters. When Arnold moved his business to Leeds they were based at 3 Briggate and then added a factory and warehousing in Blayd's Yard. By 1900 their invoices gave the address of Butterley Street, Hunset Lane, Leeds and illustrated a very large factory.
The company was very successful and traded through most of the 20th century. They expanded and by 1908 included Glasgow in their list of addresses. Later Belfast was added. In 1984 they were a member of the Pergamon Press and located at Parkside Lane, Dewsbury Road, Leeds. In 1989 the E. J. Arnold Publishing Division was sold to the British company of Thomas Nelson.