H. Husbands

The company was founded by Henry Husband and William Clarke in 1858. Husband had learnt his trade under the instrument maker Thomas Davies King.

Husbands were a well known shop in central Victorian Bristol with premises at 8 St. Augustine's Parade. From 1870 the company name changed to H. Husbands but were commonly known simply by the surname. Around 1893, the name changed to H. Husbands & Sons. Henry died in 1910 and his sons carried on the business until 1910. Two other sons emigrated to Melbourne, Australia where they opened a branch in 1875.