Forsyth (Born 1872)R.W. Forsyth Ltd
Robert Wallace Forsyth set up in business in Glasgow in 1872 at Renfield Street. By 1879, the Post Office Directory lists his address as 5, 7 & 13 Renfield Street and he is described as an Anglo Indian and colonial outfitter as well as a tailor, academical and collegiate outfitter and maker of sporting outfits. 18 years later he demolished his properties to rebuild them as a Department Store. Business must have been good because he opened a separate clothing factory in Cathcart, Glasgow under the name of Wallace-Scott.
In 1902 they opened a registered office at 3 St. Andrews Square, Edinburgh and became a limited company. After this date the name used was R.W. Forsyth Ltd. The success of the Department Store allowed Forsyth to further expand and in 1907, he built a second shop at the prime location of 30 Princes Street, Edinburgh.
Aside from leather luggage and the goods needed by travellers to the colonies, Forsyth's also sold silver ware, hats and motoring garments and accessories. They also covered a wide range of clothing needs dressing school children, university students, sportsmen and women and issuing catalogues of Classic Highland Wear. The business carried on towards the end of the 20th century and was successful due to their deserved reputation for good quality.