A mahogany portable Camp Stool by Charles Green of London.
The concept of the stool is simple but very effective. The underside of the two part, hinged seat has recesses of the exact size to fit the four legs once removed. The seat then folds on its hinges to halve its size and form a small case with swing hooks to keep it closed. The addition of a small brass handle allows it to be carried like a small case.
To assemble the stool, the numbered legs are removed and inserted into their corresponding holes to the underside of the seat. The legs and holes each have a brass ferrule, some of which have been replaced, to help strengthen them. The two short sides of the stool each have a slide bar to lock the case top open and so prevent it from buckling under you.
Charles Green registered the design for this stool on the 26th July 1878 in London and this is stamped on both halves of the underside of the seat along with each leg. He is known to have been active in London between 1846 and 1887.
This stool is a classic piece of campaign furniture with Green naming it a Camp Stool,adding it that it 'This Stool is specially fitted for Fishing, Cricket, Sketching, Pic-Nics, and many other purposes; it supplies a want long felt and is combined with Elegance and Durability. Circa 1880.
Dimensions set up are given.
The cabinet maker Charles Green had several addresses in London during his career. He is first listed in the directories in 1846 at 11 Church Row, Somers Town before moving to 10 Church Row, St. Pancras Road in 1855. By 1870 he had moved to 1 Hungerford Road, Camden.
His iconic piece of travel furniture, the Camp Stool was patented in 1878 when he was located at 80 Libra Road, North Bow. His last listing in the trade directories is 9 years later in 1887.
He is known to have made this stool design in at least 2 sizes with the smaller having legs that fold to halve their length. The smaller stool was also made with a padded leather seat.