A leather Attache Case by the well respected maker R.W. Forsyth of Scotland.
The top of the case has a full length leather hinge attaching it to the bottom as well as two strap hinges to the interior for extra support. The handle is shaped for comfort and the two locks are marked English Lever. Although the key is now missing they unlock by pushing the round catches away from the centre. The corners of the bottom part of the case have canted corners to give a smooth fit to the top.
The case has a great colour and is good quality, as you would expect from the maker. More can be read about Forsyth by clicking on their name above or going to our Makers section. Early 20th Century.
R.W. Forsyth Ltd
Robert Wallace Forsyth set up in business in Glasgow in 1872 at Renfield Street. By 1879, the Post Office Directory lists his address as 5, 7 & 13 Renfield Street and he is described as an Anglo Indian and colonial outfitter as well as a tailor, academical and collegiate outfitter and maker of sporting outfits. 18 years later he demolished his properties to rebuild them as a Department Store. Business must have been good because he opened a separate clothing factory in Cathcart, Glasgow under the name of Wallace-Scott.
In 1902 they opened a registered office at 3 St. Andrews Square, Edinburgh and became a limited company. After this date the name used was R.W. Forsyth Ltd. The success of the Department Store allowed Forsyth to further expand and in 1907, he built a second shop at the prime location of 30 Princes Street, Edinburgh.
Aside from leather luggage and the goods needed by travellers to the colonies, Forsyth's also sold silver ware, hats and motoring garments and accessories. They also covered a wide range of clothing needs dressing school children, university students, sportsmen and women and issuing catalogues of Classic Highland Wear. The business carried on towards the end of the 20th century and was successful due to their deserved reputation for good quality.