A round, toleware Collar Tin painted with faux wood decoration and titled Collars to the top.
The lid has a ring handle and a simple, hinged catch to secure it. The interior is painted in a yellow cream and has a maker's label which occupies nearly all of the inside of the lid.
The name to the label states George Hall, Manufacturer, 140 Fetter Lane, London with a shield that has a cross. George Hall is listed as a furnishing ironmonger at 185 Fleet Street in 1846. By 1852 he changed premises to 140 Fetter Lane (just off Fleet Street) and 18 Mount Street, Walthorth. By 1865 he is no longer shown in the trade directories. As a furnishing ironmonger, Hall probably had a large range of stock for sale. Toleware Collar Tins are a little unusual with most being made of leather and later in date. Mid 19th Century.