A leather hide, medium sized Suitcase stamped R.W. Forsyth Ltd, Dressing Bag Makers, Glasgow & Edinburgh.
This case is well made, as you would expect of the maker and has a blue quilted lining. The lid is supported by dark blue leather straps and the handle shaped for a good grip. The underside has 5 large brass stud feet to raise it off wet ground and the pair of locks and handle fittings are also brass. The top of the case is tooled with the owner's initials H.P.H. in black but there is no further information as to whom this might be.
This is a well-made case and still very useable. The maker's stamp dates it to after 1902 when the business became limited. Early 20th Century.
The luggage stand is for sale separately.
R.W. Forsyth Ltd
Robert Wallace Forsyth set up in business in Glasgow in 1872 at Renfield Street. By 1879, the Post Office Directory lists his address as 5, 7 & 13 Renfield Street and he is described as an Anglo Indian and colonial outfitter as well as a tailor, academical and collegiate outfitter and maker of sporting outfits. 18 years later he demolished his properties to rebuild them as a Department Store. Business must have been good because he opened a separate clothing factory in Cathcart, Glasgow under the name of Wallace-Scott.
In 1902 they opened a registered office at 3 St. Andrews Square, Edinburgh and became a limited company. After this date the name used was R.W. Forsyth Ltd. The success of the Department Store allowed Forsyth to further expand and in 1907, he built a second shop at the prime location of 30 Princes Street, Edinburgh.
Aside from leather luggage and the goods needed by travellers to the colonies, Forsyth's also sold silver ware, hats and motoring garments and accessories. They also covered a wide range of clothing needs dressing school children, university students, sportsmen and women and issuing catalogues of Classic Highland Wear. The business carried on towards the end of the 20th century and was successful due to their deserved reputation for good quality.