This set of folding brass hooks were described for the design registration as a folding coat and dress hanger.
They are more involved than most portable hooks but offer more for it. A shaped coat hanger, with porcelain knobs to the ends, folds out from the back structure to allow garments to be hung away from the wall. In addition there are also 2 strong hooks below. The fold out frame has the added benefit of creating a shelf to rest a hat on. It has 2 eyelets for fixing the hooks and these move on the frame so their position can be adjusted.
The hooks are stamped W. Hopkins & Son, Regd. 19th April 1872, 5349, Birmingham. William Hopkins gave his address as King Edward's Place, Birmingham at the time of registration and an 1870 Handbook to Manufacturers and Exporters of Gt. Britain confirms this. Prior to this, Hopkins had premises at 2, Summer Row in 1858 and later the Seymour Works at Albert Place in 1896. Hopkins are listed as brass founders of blind furniture and fittings so making a complete article as opposed to a component was perhaps a diversion for them.
It's well considered and the decorative brass tubing used, adds to its appeal. Circa 1875.