A leather Trunk by Drew & Sons of Piccadilly, London.
Made of leather hide, this trunk is unusual for the maker in that Drew Maker is impressed to the side carrying handles. The trunk also has an original leather strap fitted to run under the handles and fix across the width of the trunk, as opposed to running from front to back. This strap is riveted to the underside of the trunk which has wooden runners to raise it from the ground. The interior is lined in canvas and has leather strap hinges to hold the open lid in place.
The trunk is stamped with the name Hatfield to the top. This trunk is a little shorter in width than most. Late 19th Century.
Drew & Sons noted on their letterhead that they were established in 1844.
Like many 19th century campaign furniture makers, they started out as luggage and travel good makers adding portable furniture to their range of goods as the demand became apparent. They were foremost known for their high end leather goods and picnic sets, however the whole of their second floor at Piccadilly Circus was given over to Military Furniture and Campaigning Equipments. They also made a point of stating on their paperwork that they made all their own goods and to the highest quality. The Drew items we have seen testify to this and indeed they enjoyed the patronage of Queen Victoria, the Royal Family and most of the Courts of Europe.
Their main address was 33, 35-37 Piccadilly Circus but they also had premises at 155 Leadenhall Street, London and 42 Kings Road, Brighton. Their manufactories were located at Burlington Buildings, Heddon Street and at Hatton Gardens, London.