This Army and Navy Store washstand is of a conventional form with brass standards over steel rods. It has good shaped feet and a gallery to both the top and middle shelf, whereas most would only have one to the top shelf. This washstand is made of teak and so perhaps destined for a hot climate, although the Army and Navy Store did offer them in other woods, with or without bowls and with an oak packing tub.
The underside of the bottom shelf is stamped 'A&N.C.S.L. Makers' as well as with an 'E' and a small '3'. All three shelves are stamped with a '2'. The bottom shelf also has a hand written name in ink, which could possibly be 'Champain', although the last 3 or 4 letters are difficult to read. Despite this type of washstand not being unusual this one is a particularly good example of an item that was probably considered a standard piece of equipment for a Victorian officer to own. Late 19th century.
Size assembled is given.
The Army & Navy Store Co-Operative Society Limited, to give their full title, was set by in 1871 by a group of army and naval officers who had decided they were paying too much for their wine. If they clubbed together to buy wholesale, they could greatly reduce the price. If this could be done for wine, it could be done for most other things and indeed the A&N CSL went on to sell just about everything imaginable from food and drink to clothing, furniture, sporting goods, luggage and toys.
Membership was restricted to officers, non-commissioned officers and their families. Friends could join by introduction and officials from the civil service and clubs etc. could also join. Premises were opened at 105 Victoria Street and the Society quickly grew to be a very large concern with depots at important army bases and ports. With a large demand from members in India, a store was opened in Bombay in 1891, followed by Karachi in 1892 and Calcutta in 1901.
The Society also manufactured or commissioned a number of the items they sold. This is particularly true of the items we are interested in, travel furniture and luggage etc. We also have a theory that the A&N CSL workshops may have supplied other retailers such as Harrods. Although many of the London campaign furniture makers were producing similar items of furniture, a number of pieces sold by Harrods bear a striking similarity to those marked A&N CSL. However, the Army & Navy Store tended to label their items whereas this was less of a concern for Harrods. Four digit reference numbers are often to be found stamped on pieces sold by both companies.
The A&N CSL used a variety of different labels and stamps throughout their history but more often than not the wording 'Army & Navy C.S.L. Makers' was used. Some labels also show addresses. Brass and ivorine labels are known as well as applied leather labels on luggage and both impressed and ink stamps.
The speed and size of the Society's growth was remarkable but still they managed to keep an eye on quality and customer service. Their name changed in 1934 from the Army & Navy Co-Operative Society Ltd to The Army & Navy Stores Ltd. They were eventually taken over by The House of Frazer in 1981.