The company go back to 1778 under Joseph Trollope who was a wall paper hanger.
His sons enjoyed Royal Patronage and expanded into interior decoration and then estate agency. A separate branch of cabinet makers was set up and the different arms of the company which was also by now included property development continued into the 20th century.
In 1903 they merged with the builders Colls and Sons. They won contracts with Haarland & Wolf, the builders of the Titanic, to furnish and interior decorate the White Star Line.