The company of Goldsmiths & Silversmiths was formed in 1880 by William Gibson and John Lawrence Langman. They were located at 112 Regent Street, London which was the former address of John Joseph Mechi, who among his many interests, was also a silversmith.
They had manufactories both in Clerkenwell, London, Sheffield and Rue St. George, Paris. They produced a wide range of items from jewellery, clocks and items for the dining table to mess ware, trophies and commemorative figures. In their adverts they noted that as manufactures selling direct to the public, they could discount between 25 and 50%. However, they also sold items by other makers such as William Comyns, Wakely & Wheeler, Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Harrison Brothers & Howson. They also dealt in diamonds and precious stones.
Goldsmiths & Silversmiths developed a heavier form of plating that they marketed as Regents Plate noting that it was far superior to other plate. It was a great success for the company.
They exhibited at a number of international exhibitions in both Europe and America from the 1880s through to the early 1900s. As they expanded, they bought Mappin Brothers in 1889 and then in 1893 they took over Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd. Five years later, in 1898, they became a limited company themselves with their name changing to Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd. In 1903 they sold Mappin Brothers to Mappin & Webb. Fifty years later, they amalgamated with Garrard & Co. in 1952. In 1959 they were taken over themselves by Mappin & Webb.
Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Ltd enjoyed a good reputation and in the early 20th Century were awarded Royal Warrants, selling to the King. The reputation still holds good today.