A leather hide Boot Trunk marked W. H. Thompson Leicester.
This trunk would have originally had lift out trays which sat on top of each other. It is lined in linen and reinforced to the bottom corners with leather fixed with multiple brass, dome headed studs. The lid is completely removable and held in place by 2 belt straps. The owner identified his trunk by having it painted with a white circle containing a red star and a black initial C. It is also painted 3 suggesting they owned at least 3 boot trunks.
The boot and shoe makers listings in the trade directories of 1846 show a W. Thompson in Russell Square; 1847 a William Thompson at All Saints open; 1854 shows a T. Thompson, again at Russell Square and in 1855 a William Thompson of Northgates is shown. By 1861 he is no longer listed. This is very likely all the same business. We have had 2 W. H. Thompson trunks before and they have also been stamped with marks for Insall, the Bristol trunk maker. This suggests that Thompson bought boot trunks in to supply his customers. Boot trunks are always desirable due to their great size which is very practical for modern use. Mid 19th Century.