Maker: S.W. Silver
Subcategory: Campaign Chests
A mahogany, brass bound campaign chest by S.W. Silver of Cornhill, London.
The chest splits into two parts and has turned, removable feet which are to the company's standard design. The edges of the chest are slightly rounded and it would originally have been housed in a pair of pine packing cases for travel, which would become a secondary piece of furniture in their own right. The maker's name, along with the Cornhill address are stamped to the brass, side carrying handles. S.W. Silver were one of the few companies that put flush carrying handles to their chests to allow them to be used with packing cases. The campaign handles to the drawers are not stamped with the maker's details which, although known, is a feature seen on a number of their chests. The chest's drawer linings are mahogany.
S.W. Silver had a long and varied history encompassing most of the 19th Century and half of the 20th. One of the first mentions of the company was in The Post Office Directory of 1813 were they are listed as Arrowsmith and Silver Ready Made Linen Warehouse of 3 Cornhill. A number of other campaign furniture suppliers also started out as linen merchants before progressing to supplying clothing for travellers and the army and then extending their range to encompass other items needed whilst overseas. S.W. Silver became a huge business and went onto to also produce items made from gutta percha, sporting equipment and of course, a vast array of items for travel including furniture.
They had a few different addresses on Cornhill during their existence and were also located at 4 1/2 Bishopsgate and in Liverpool at St. George's Crescent South. They had workshops at 33 & 34 Nassau Place, Commercial Road East, London and the India Rubber Works factory at Woolwich Reach. Their London factory eventually grew to such a size, that the area Silvertown was named after them. S.W. Silver have a good name for campaign furniture and produced a variety of items besides campaign chests. Circa 1870.